Please Touch Museum -- Collections Intern
Please see instructions on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
The intern will receive training in the use of our PastPerfect database (collections management software) and in general collections management practices. They will gain skills in documenting, condition reporting, and handling museum objects, and other important areas related to collections management. They will also gain the experience of having designed and carried out a short-term project in cataloguing and collections research. This internship will be particularly valuable for students interested in a museums, archives, or research career.
The intern will be trained in two primary areas:
- Inventory: The intern will assist in an inventory of the PTM collections. Tasks will include photographing and documenting collections objects, completing condition reports, and assisting with moving/repacking some objects.
- Cataloguing: The intern will be trained in using PTM’s PastPerfect database (collections management software) and have the opportunity to design and execute a small cataloguing project in a collections area of their interest. For example, if the intern is interested in action figures, they may select a group of 20-30 related objects to research and update catalogue records for.
- Reviewing and cataloguing PTM's collections
- Researching content pertaining to the collection, and making recommendations for new exhibition case layouts
- Writing interpretive labels for next exhibitions
This position pays $15/hr, 28 hours a week for 9 weeks. In addition, you will receive a $500 stipend for completing the Arts Intern component of the program. Visit the Program Details page for more information.
BEFORE APPLYING, VERIFY YOU:
1) Will be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student as of the Fall 2019 semester. You must be a rising Junior or Senior.
2) Attend college in Philadelphia, or live in Philadelphia.
3) Have an Expected Family Contribution of less than $5000. This number is on your FAFSA form, to see what it looks like -- click here.
1) To apply to a position, please click here and fill out the eligibility application form.
2) Once your eligibility application is reviewed and approved, Studio Institute will send you an email confirming your eligibility for the program. Note: once you're verified as eligible for Arts Intern, you can apply to as many positions as you'd like. You do not have to submit the eligibility application more than once.
3) You will forward this confirmation email, along with your CV, cover letter, and transcript to the email below these instructions with the subject "Arts Intern 2019 Approved Application".
Once you've received confirmation of eligibility, email your application to Elisabeth Berry Drago at firstname.lastname@example.org.