National Constitution Center -- Theatre Program Projects Development Intern
Please see instructions on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
This summer, the Theatre Programs Project Development Intern will assist in stage one of developing a theatrical program to be produced by the National Constitution Center in conjunction with an upcoming long-running exhibit focused on the Civil War and Reconstruction, which will cover the constitutional events, key figures, issues, and debates central to the passage of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments, which transformed the nation. The theatrical piece will focus on the constitutional debates surrounding the 14th amendment, seeking to educate audiences and tell the personal stories that surround this important amendment. While the theatrical piece (and the exhibit) will not open until 2019, the first phase of the project (including research, devising and workshopping stages of the play) will begin in the summer of 2018. As such, the Theatre Programs Project Development Intern will be integral in this process.
Specifically, the Theatre Programs Project Development Intern will: research the Civil War, Reconstruction, the 14th Amendment, and how other museums, theatres, and museum theatre programs present this subject matter, to be used by the artistic team during workshops and further development; coordinate, plan, and help finalize workshops for the artistic team and workshop participants, including drafting contracts and assisting with travel coordination as necessary; ordering supplies and materials; formulate a workshop plan for workshop days; video document each workshop and devising process; devise play material in the workshops; create detailed summary reports from all workshops; coordinate between the Theatre Programs Department and the Exhibits Department to track any changes to the development of the exhibit and the development of the program; work with the Education Department to identify opportunities for learning objectives and work with them to shape and generate educational materials (specifically, what types of materials are useful for our audiences and what resources would be best suited for those materials); and compile all research, script development, video recordings, and educational materials into a physical and digital archive.
The Theatre Programs Project Development Intern will need the following skills:
- Strong writing skills
- Strong interpretive editing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Basic video editing skills
- Comfortable being proactive
- Comfortable working independently and in groups
- Proficient in using both Apple/Mac and PC computers
- Interest in education (preferred)
- Interest in American history (preferred)
- Background in music or visual arts a plus
- Prior theatrical experience a plus
- Prior museum experience a plus
This position pays $12/hr, 28 hours a week for 9 weeks. In addition, you will receive a $580 stipend for completing the Arts Intern component of the program. Visit the Program Details page for more information.
BEFORE APPLYING, VERIFY YOU:
1) Will be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student as of the Fall 2018 semester. You must be a rising Junior or Senior.
2) Attend college in Philadelphia, or live in Philadelphia.
3) Have an Expected Family Contribution of less than $5000. This number is on your FAFSA form, to see what it looks like -- click here.
1) To apply to a position, please click here and fill out the eligibility application form. Note: you must make note of which position you're applying to in the application.
2) Once your eligibility application is reviewed and approved, Studio Institute will send you an email confirming your eligibility for the program.
3) You will forward this confirmation email, along with your CV, cover letter, transcript, and recommendations to the email at the bottom of each position description with the subject "Arts Intern 2018 Approved Application"
Once you've received confirmation of eligibility, email your application to Melissa Erlick at email@example.com.