Metal Museum -- Collections Intern
Please see instructions on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
The Arts Intern will research, catalog, photograph, and rehouse a collection of historic tools (40-50 objects total) donated by Kenneth Lynch & Sons in the 1980s. The Metal Museum has very little provenance and other documentation for this collection, so the Arts Intern's main goal is to create better documentation for the items in the tool collection, so that the Museum can be more confident in what we actually have. This project will allow the student to gain experience in both curatorial research and collections management work, and as the object list is relatively short, it is a project with an achievable end goal. It is the Museum's hope that upon completion of this project, we will be able to publish this collection in our online PastPerfect database, making it accessible to the public in a way that it hasn't been before.
- Research 40-50 objects donated by Kenneth Lynch & Sons and develop descriptions and information about them
- Gain experience in cataloging and researching a specific collection in a museum setting
- Create digital records of unrecorded physical objects in the collection
This position pays $15/hr, 28 hours a week for 9 weeks. In addition, you will receive a $500 stipend for completing the Arts Intern component of the program. Visit the Program Details page for more information.
BEFORE APPLYING, VERIFY YOU:
1) Will be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student as of the Fall 2019 semester. You must be a rising Junior or Senior.
2) Attend college in Memphis, or live in Memphis.
3) Have an Expected Family Contribution of less than $5000. This number is on your FAFSA form, to see what it looks like -- click here.
1) To apply to a position, please click here and fill out the eligibility application form.
2) Once your eligibility application is reviewed and approved, Studio Institute will send you an email confirming your eligibility for the program. Note: once you're verified as eligible for Arts Intern, you can apply to as many positions as you'd like. You do not have to submit the eligibility application more than once.
3) You will forward this confirmation email, along with your CV, cover letter, transcript, and recommendations to the email below these instructions with the subject "Arts Intern 2019 Approved Application".
Once you've received confirmation of eligibility, email your application to Brooke Garcia at email@example.com.