El Museo del Barrio -- Public Programs Intern
Please see instructions on how to apply at the bottom of this page.
El Museo is seeking an intern that is invested in learning about (or expanding their knowledge of) the art and culture of Puerto Ricans and all Latin Americans in the United States. We believe in art as a tool for social change, cultural empowerment, and civic engagement. Founder Raphael Montañez Ortiz refers to the inception of El Museo del Barrio as a response to the community’s need for a “powerful cultural institution that would reveal its past; affirm and guide its present (critically and with respect); and inspire its future, with integrity and intellectual authority.”
The Intern will be involved with many of our summer programs such as the annual Museum Mile Festival as well as our popular summer series Uptown Bounce (in partnership with the Museum of the City of New York). Aside providing support for these programs that are already in place, a specific project is “Arte en la calle” (Art in the Streets) in which we will table outside of our building at 1230 Fifth Avenue (weather permitting) once a week for a couple of hours and engage passersby in a quick art making activity that the intern will develop and implement. This will allow the student the opportunity to get exposure to the local community and from the institutions standpoint, inform the public about events/programs going on.
Interns will also provide research and development support for our help in the development of our Fall/Spring Public Programs and Cultural Celebrations. These programs include our Super Sábado program, our Day of the Dead Celebration and 42nd Annual Three Kings Day Parade. All of these are programs that showcase traditions, cultural expressions, and the latest in Latino music and art. The intern will attend offsite meetings, participate in strategic planning meetings, will research artists to work with, community organizations to partner with, as well as develop the tools necessary to document and report on programs upon completion.
Skills: The ideal candidate has demonstrated interest in programming, event management, or cultural production. S/he must be detail oriented, and have strong organization and follow-up skills. The Public Programs Intern must be able to interact with diverse audiences. S/he must have a flexible schedule (some evenings/Saturdays required). Familiarity with New York's cultural institutions and previous event/programming planning experience are a plus. Some evening hours may be required.
- Assist in all aspects of summer programming at El Museo
- Participate in strategic planning meetings, research artists to work with, and find community organizations to partner with
- Help plan and run the El Museo's participation in the annual Museum Mile Fesitival, as well as El Museo's Uptown Bounce
This position pays $13/hr, 28 hours a week for 9 weeks. In addition, you will receive a $500 stipend for completing the Arts Intern component of the program. Visit the Program Details page for more information.
BEFORE APPLYING, VERIFY YOU:
1) Will be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student as of the Fall 2018 semester. You must be a rising Junior or Senior.
2) Attend college in New York City, or live in New York City.
3) Have an Expected Family Contribution of less than $5000. This number is on your FAFSA form, to see what it looks like -- click here.
1) To apply to a position, please click here and fill out the eligibility application form.
2) Once your eligibility application is reviewed and approved, Studio Institute will send you an email confirming your eligibility for the program. Note: once you're verified as eligible for Arts Intern, you can apply to as many positions as you'd like. You do not have to submit the eligibility application more than once.
3) You will forward this confirmation email, along with your CV, cover letter, transcript, and recommendations to the email below these instructions with the subject "Arts Intern 2018 Approved Application".
Once you've received confirmation of eligibility, email your application to Richard Morales at email@example.com.